At Patchwork, there are many ways to help us reach out to our neighborhood. We rely upon help from dedicated and caring volunteers to make all of our programming happen. Volunteers help us keep a high adult to child ratio in our Arts & Smarts program so we can give each child plenty of individual attention. Volunteers work one-on-one with children in the tutoring room, helping them complete homework and build academic skills. Volunteers staff our food pantry, allowing us to feed hungry families four days a week. Volunteers plant and tend our garden, then teach children about the plants that are growing there. As a function of our nonprofit status, our board members volunteer their time to help keep the organization running smoothly. Volunteers are intrinsic to the community we strive to create at Patchwork, developing relationships with program participants, staff and each other.
If you would like to become involved, call the Office (812-424-2735). You can also download a volunteer application or download a teen volunteer application for volunteers under age 18. Volunteers who will work directly with children will be asked to complete a background check form in addition to the volunteer application.
Possible volunteer assignments at Patchwork include:
- Board Members supporting through leadership and development
- Tutors work one-on-one with a child to complete their homework, play educational games, or focus on areas needing academic improvement
- Arts Volunteers work one-on-one with children on a variety of art projects, creative writing and other activities that are planned and led by program staff
- Healthy Snack Providers bring nutritious snacks for children’s programs
- Food Pantry Volunteers fill food orders for clients
- Special Events always require extra hands for planning, decorating, setup, and cleanup